Saying these treats are addictive is an understatement. I've always had an affinity for granola bars. But these these are unbelievably scrumptious.
I was searching the web for quick and easy snacks to pack in my kid's lunchboxes this school year and came across some interesting granola bar recipes.
I snagged this one from Iowa Girl Eats and made it my own.
Chewy Trail Mix Bites (adapted from IowaGirlEats)
1 cup raw almonds
¾ cups raw pecans
¼ cup pistachios
1 cup old fashioned oats
½ cup dried cherries
½ cup dried blueberries
¼ cup raw pumpkin seed kernels
¼ cup raw honey
3 tbsp. virgin coconut oil
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. cinnamon
Combine nuts and add to food processor
Then add the oats
Blend into a fine powder
Chop the remaining nuts
Add berries and seeds to the mix
Stir it all together
Combine remaining ingredients in sauce pan and cook over medium heat
Add it to the mixture
Press onto lined baking sheet and chill
Cut into small squares and enjoy!
1. Mix nuts together. Add ½ cup of nut mixture with ½ cup oats into food processor. Blend until it’s a fine powder (about 60-90 seconds). Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Add remaining nuts to food processor and chop roughly (about 10-15 seconds). Add them to large bowl as well.
3. Add remaining oats, cherries, blueberries, and pumpkin seeds. Stir until blended.
4. In a small saucepan, combine honey, coconut oil, salt, vanilla extract, and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir constantly until mixture liquefies. Pour over nut mixture and mix together to coat.
5. Line a sheet pan with plastic wrap or parchment paper and let it cover the sides. Press the mixture onto the pan very firmly with the back of a wooden spoon. Thickness of bars is a personal preference, but about ½ inch is good.
6. Cover with overhang paper or plastic and refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until firm.
7. Cut chilled bars with a sharp knife into squares. You can wrap them individually for lunches or store in fridge together. They don’t stick.
The Breakdown per serving:
I’m just warning you right now that the moment one touches your mouth you will have a seriously hard time not eating the whole pan.